Unlike other pop stars who find a formula and stick with it, Ed Sheeran tends to experiment with his music videos.
He’s done every sort you could think of: concert footage, ballroom dancing videos, mini-films, mini-documentaries, the works.
PHOTOGRAPH, in particular, does a beautiful job of matching up home videos from when he’s young and older. Rewatch it and you’ll spot him wearing headphones (or a pirate costume) as a young pookie and again later when he’s a teenager or adult. That took time and effort.
This latest video is interesting. Some thoughts:
- Ed is realistically bad at boxing in the beginning, but he’s not over-acting here. Good show, and it pays off later.
- Shocking number of tattoos. Had no idea.
- The female lead is clearly a great athlete and, it turns out, a good actor.
- Their meet-cute is nice, and the arc of their relationship, in just a few minutes of film, feels right. You want them to succeed as a couple.
- Ed clearly did serious time in the gym for this and really worked at boxing. You see it in the middle to end. Well played.
- The ending fight is goofy, but it works. And the closing image, of the woman doing a great leaping kick, rocks.
Verdict: 4 stars out of 5. Well done, start to finish.