Just as it’s not brilliant to (a) quit your job, cash out your retirement and move your family to an underground bunker in the Yukon to eat canned beans and get ready for the arrival of zombies, aliens or killer robots, it’s equally dumb to (b) do absolutely nothing. Because there will always be hurricanes, earthquakes, raging wildfires and pandemics. No matter where you live, something can go wrong.
HOWEVER: What should you actually prep for, and what scenarios are fanboy fantasies you can safely forget about?
Two bits of terrible nonsense that definitely will happen, but you can completely ignore
Last week, I did a post with a great infographic created by the BBC, which sorted possible disasters in a great way. Click here: Chapter 11: What’s the actual likelihood of all the different flavors of apocalyptic craziness?
Two big ones on the BBC list are things that will happen. Guaranteed.
Yet you can safely ignore them.
- Death of the Sun–Yes, this will happen, eventually. Billions of years from now. What are you gonna do about it?
- Heat death of the universe–Also guaranteed, if current physicists are right. Also impossibly far off in the future and not worth your time pondering or prepping.
Four horrific things that MAY happen that you should also ignore
- Gamma Ray Bursts–Doesn’t sound that bad. Isn’t that how Bruce Banner became the Hulk? But no, in the actual universe instead of the Marvel one, Gamma Ray Bursts are insane space death rays that originate from black holes and such and can fry a planet like earth just like that. Nothing you can do about it. No way to predict or stop one, and they’re crazy rare. Fuggetaboutit.
- Rogue Black Holes–Yeah, this is theoretically possible. One of these might float into our solar system and eat Jupiter for breakfast and Earth for dinner. Not likely and there’s nothing you can do about it.
- SimCity–Some people think our entire universe is a simulation, and some 13-year-old alien may get tired of it, shut it down and play Batman: Arkham Knight instead. Also not likely and impossible to stop if true.
- Zombies–Though I adore zombie movies, you have to really stretch to pretend there’s a scenario where zombies actually happen.
Eight different Apocalypse Maybes
Now we’re talking. These scenarios are (a) possible, if not likely, (b) capable of causing global havoc, (c) preventable, (d) survivable and (e) good fodder for a movie starring The Rock.
- Waterworld–Kevin Costner was a prophet, right? Climate change is happening. Seas are rising, weather is getting more extreme and it doesn’t look good.
- Spanish Flu on Steroids–Airplanes circling the globe make it super easy for a new virus or disease to spread unnaturally fast.
- Supervolcano Goes Boom–There are about a dozen supervolcanos on earth. Any one of them going off could ruin things for, I don’t know, a century. Nasty business.
- Overpopulation–We’re already kinda there, with 7 billion people using more resources than the earth can replenish every year.
- Underpopulation–The flip side, most likely in combination with another disaster.
- Mad Max–Though it’s a Hollywood cliche, nuclear war is still a real-life issue.
- The Terminator–Killer robots, or AI gone rogue, are definitely possible, especially if militaries increasingly deploy killer drones and AI tanks and such.
- Killer Rocks from Space–Little asteroids hit Earth all the time. A big one could end modern civilization.
In the next few weeks, I’ll dive into each of these eight scenarios. Can it be prevented, and how would you actually prep to survive it?
- Chapter 1—You’re Doing It Wrong
- Chapter 2—Lone Wolf in a Bunker vs Nimble Nomad with Friends
- Chapter 3—Getting Around
- Chapter 4—One Backpack and a Pair of Hiking Boots
- Chapter 5—Yes, Any Sort of Apocalypse Means Looting the Mall
- Chapter 6—Suit Up with Seriously Practical Armor
- Chapter 7—Fire and Water
- Chapter 8—Blades, Bludgeons and Bad Ideas
- Chapter 9—Getting Real about Long Range Weapons
- Chapter 10—Prepping for Day 1 of Any Sort of ‘Pocalypse
- Chapter 11: What’s the actual likelihood of all the different flavors of apocalyptic craziness?