Here it is, the latest mind-blowing invention from Apple via a leaked video from sources in Silicon Valley that I can’t reveal.
Sorry. Not gonna do it. Wouldn’t be prudent.
Now, that’s funny, mostly because there’s a ton of truth packed in with the sarcasm.
And the trend in the other direction, toward massive phones that don’t fit in your pocket, monstrous phone-tablets offspring called phablets by People Who Are Terrible At Naming Things — well, that’s just as bad as the iWatch.
Gadgets should be simple. Do one thing and do it well, or do lots of things well but make it convenient.
I own a few watches and stopped wearing them years ago, not because they broke, or the batteries ran out, but because there’s a phone on my Samsung Galaxy, a clock on my PC at work, another clock in my car, clocks on the wall. How many clocks do I need?
And I don’t need a tiny screen on my wrist when there’s a big screen on my desk, a good-sized screen on my phone, a Nook in my messenger bag (call it a murse, I don’t care, I can take it) and an iPad sitting around home somewhere that nobody uses. After a certain point, you can only use so many screens, sync so many devices and update the stupid things so many times. Honestly, why does iTunes need to download another update every two weeks? The last time it updated, iTunes conveniently forget all my song ratings and such. Call it an undocumented feature.
What part of modern technology (a) makes you all happy, like GPS meaning we don’t get lost anymore, or (b) annoys you to no end? Tell me. Just don’t leave me a voice mail about it. Hate ’em. Won’t listen.
The Red Pen of Doom’s Greatest Hits Collection: 10 Epic Posts
- Epic Black Car deserves good owner; are you worthy?
- The Mother of All Query Letters
- Why every man MUST read a romance – and every woman a thriller
- The Red Pen of Doom impales FIFTY SHADES OF GREY
- The Twitter, it is NOT for selling books
- A BOWL OF WARM MILK AND MURDER
- 30 achy breaky Twitter mistakeys
- Writing secret: Light as air, strong as whiskey, cheap as dirt
- The Red Pen of Doom murders THE FOUNTAINHEAD by Ayn Rand
- Quirks and legs matter more than talent and perfection
Reformed journalist. Scribbler of speeches and whatnot. Wrote a thriller that won some award (PNWA 2013). Represented by Jill Marr of the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency.